Wednesday, March 28, 2007

After the hibernation....this

I thought I will emerge from my forced hibernation, which is actually a rather polite way of camouflaging my current creative barrenness, with this interesting piece I read in the "London Review of Books" website.

Marina Lewycka compared being an unpublished author to being an asylum seeker. ‘You know where you belong,’ she said, ‘but the gate is guarded . . . you try everything – different fonts, different noms de plume. You take out all the adverbs, then put them back in again. You spend hours refining your synopsis. You know it must be possible, because you see the Published Ones walking around on the other side of the frontier, bathed in an aura of publishedness.’

4 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back!!! And yes I did read about your Chittoor palce. Hope it picks up well!!!

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi da,
why do you keep doing this disappearing act? u are becoming as unpredictable as me!! he he he....
don't worry, i have faith...one day u and i will write a book and it will win one or two coveted awards too!!!
take care and keep writing

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like that quote you put in there. Although its no solace for wannabe writers.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Gayathri Varma said...

revathi,
Thanks. They had published it wrongly as Place instead of Palace.

sourceoflove,
I assume she is obviously talking about getting published by notable publishing houses, she is talking of a full fledged novel. We know how easy other sources are, but what about completing a full book?

divya,
thanks da. u are undoubtadly one of my most loyal readers and motivators, hibernation or not! remember the book i started off, with the sea as the backdrop? i had even finished writing 2 chapters. sadly, i cannot find that hopelessly incomplete manuscript anywhere. don't know where to begin now.

anonymous,
I did not mean it to be any solace for hopeful writers. sorry!
but, keep trying and keep scribbling your thoughts...one day, who knows, it might evolve into a complete book. good luck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home