Thursday, October 04, 2007

In Nature's Lap

There is so much within me bursting to erode into a torrent of words and yet…I procrastinate…I shy away from writing.
Anyway, here is a meek attempt, being fresh from a wonderful trip I had with family in green, verdant, gorgeous Kodaikanal.
We stayed in an utterly picturesque resort called Villa Retreat right next to Coaker’s Walk in Kodaikanal. The view of the town (and what lies way beyond it) from the green dewy lawns of the resort is mind numbingly beautiful and an ‘out of the world’ experience. I would stare at the view for long hours to soak in all that beauty and permanently store it in my mind’s eye (my conscious) with the intent of retrieving it as and when my eyes tire of concrete structures, dust, pollution and crowd.
During our stay at the resort, we travelled to a thinly populated, remote village called Manamannoor, roughly about 35 kms from Kodaikanal. The drive to the place is beautiful and en route we stopped at the pine forest and gleefully got lost amidst the towering pine trees that appeared to reach out and embrace the skies. On reaching the village, we trekked through some desolate hills and forests and got drenched in a waterfall in the middle of nowhere and finally lunched near a beautiful river with just cows for company.
In the town, my husband and I cycled around the lake for almost an hour and went for long walks to unexplored parts of the town.
On the day of our return, we finally managed to glimpse the glorious sunrise from the resort. While standing on the wet and dewy lawn, cold and shivering, and staring at the changing hues in the sky before the Sun finally made its resplendent appearance, my faith in my Maker was strengthened. It was such a grand spectacle, which made me realize how insignificant I was before nature’s power. I bowed in reverence to the Sun. I suppose nature offers you rare, precious glimpses and teaches you certain lessons that no one or nothing else can.
The entire family had a whale of a time and here I am, back to my spirited self.

"You will find something far greater in the woods than you will find in books. Stones and trees will teach you that which you will never learn from masters." - St. Bernard

12 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Blogger Anitha said...

Sounds Awesome!! ;-)

- Anitha

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear you had a wonderful time in one of the most beautiful hill stations in India. Your writing is so real that it transports a reader to the place of description.
Enjoy and keep writing more often.

 
At 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,
This post is a welcome relief from your previous gloomy one. So happy to know you are back to your spirited self. It sounds like you had an amazing holiday. Great! continue to have fun.
lotsa love,
divya

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your writing is very real. Enjoyed the piece. Good to know you had a nice time away from the madness of corporate existence.
Maya

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Gayathri Varma said...

Anitha,
Yes, it was an awesome trip!

anon,
Thanks for the encouragement. I hope to overcome my laziness and write more frequently.

divya,
great to know you are always there, with your sound observations and comments. yes, the trip was a welcome break.

Maya,
who doesn't want to escape from this mad mad corporate world? but, sigh, we are all bound to it due to our specific reasons.

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger dharmabum said...

ah! cycling - that must have been fun, that too in kodai.

when skeptics ask me for the proof of His existence - all i can tell them is to go watch the sunrise - what other mad painter can produce such a stunning experience?

oh, and glad to see a post here at last :) thanks for making us a part of your experience.

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Gayathri Varma said...

Hi Dharma,
Yes, you are right! no human painter can possibly posess the imagination to create such a stunning and eclectic mix of colours that we witness during a sunrise. yes, it has to come from an unimaginably supreme Power.
And, i enjoyed sharing my experience with you guys!

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Gazal said...

SUNRISE AND SUNSET two amazing phenomenons that probably should be experienced and not just seen...

never been to kodai...but your post has prompted me to make a trip now....

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger RS said...

Hey, I'm planning to visit Kodai and stay at Villa Retreat too. Over New Years' that is.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Gayathri Varma said...

hi reshma,
good choice...bet you won't be disappointed....its a lovely place, the retreat and ofcourse, kodai too!
make sure you watch the sunrise from the resort...
enjoy your trip.

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gayathri,

Evocative post. Good going. Glad I came upon it.

All the best!
Leela

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Eclectica said...

Hi Gayathri,

Evocative post. Good going. Glad I came upon it.

All the best!
Leela

 

Post a Comment

<< Home