Friday, November 02, 2007

Of nostalgia and more…

This is weird…these days I seem to be plunging deeper and deeper into nostalgia with an aching longing for the ‘simple good old things in life.’

And the figure at the nucleus of my nostalgia is my maternal grandmother, who at the age of ninety is now the grand old family head of a traditional aristocratic family in Kerala. She is a woman who has survived a lot of triumphs and tragedies, glory and despair in her life. She had always been a source of support and strength not just to her family but to everyone who came in contact with her. She always maintained her composure and wit, and her unwavering faith in the Almighty helped her tide through some of the darkest moments in her life. She lived through her doting first grandson’s tragic death at the prime age of 28, subsequently passing on courage and faith to her heartbroken daughter and bringing her back to normalcy.

Although she attended formal school only till class four, she educated herself at home and became extremely well-versed in Malayalam and Sanskrit and to some extent in Tamil and Hindi. She also attempted English to quench her undying thirst for knowledge. She was a very good Veena player and had many students under her tutelage. She has authored various songs, poems and prose (mostly unpublished) and translated some of Kalidasa’s work in Sanskrit to Malayalam. One of her translations was part of the BA Malayalam syllabus in Kerala University for a long time. She was instrumental in introducing her children to the fascinating world of literature and poetry.

Whenever people from the world of movies or literature has any doubts regarding the painter Raja Ravi Varma (who is incidentally one of her great grand uncles) or any other facts regarding the history of the state etc; my grandmother is the most important point of contact. Even at this age, she fully retains her sharp memory, knowledge and humour. It is amazing to hear her recite poems, quote passages and historic facts so crisply and correctly.

She not only brought up her four children well by stubbornly ensuring that they received a good formal education (sometimes against a lot of odds) and were married into decent families but was also closely involved in bringing up her grandchildren too.
I have beautiful memories of snuggling close to her and listening to her read out passages from different literary works and poems (most of which I never understood at the time, but just listening to her voice was music). She was a master storyteller too. It was a routine for the children of the family to crowd around her and listen in bated breath to her grand stories from the Puranas (the Hindu epics) and others.

There is so much more to write about her, which can never be captured in a blog. She is an institution in herself and with her passing, a beautiful era will come to an end.

Today, I do not long for the glitter and glamour of city or corporate life, meals in a fancy restaurant or shopping from designer stores but I long to return to my grandmother’s ancestral home in a remote corner of Kerala and live an uncomplicated, hassle-free, pollution-free existence with her grand stories and comforting presence for company.

I know this dream will never be mine to posses because my grandmother has long been uprooted from her ancestral home, which has now reduced to a dilapidated palace visited rarely by curious travellers, students of history and movie crew. Now, in the place there are just echoes of a glorious, literally rich past gone by......one that can never be filled with real beloved voices again.

6 Comments:

At 2:13 AM, Blogger Anitha said...

That was a very touching post. But, still your grandma must be or would have been feeling young at eighty plus. It is only the Gen-Y that becomes old at 30+ itself. I think it is a case of "too much, too soon."

My aunt who is seventy, still tells that she never thinks of her age and feels quite young. She is very active and is not laid back.

Maybe, people like your grandma or my aunt retain a large part of their innocence even when they are nearing eighty. But, we attain their wisdom and nirvana at a much younger age... and then plan a sabbatical(is the spelling right!) at 35.

Anitha

 
At 2:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh gayathri, the post brought tears to my eyes. Having known your grandmother and the person she is, i completely understand your sentiments. But do not worry, just be happy and be proud of the rich legacy she has passed on to her progeny.
divvy

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Ardra said...

Dear Gayathri,
I found my way here thru your comments left elsewhere...
I'm glad I did and now I'm reading through the archives.
Shall keep coming back...
Wishing you all the very Best...
and I was thinking that your grandmother's immortality lives through you- Isn't that a comforting thought?
warm regards
ardra

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Gayathri Varma said...

Hi,
Anitha,
You are so right...i already feel like taking a sabbatical although i have a few yrs to ago before your predicted age of 35. Yes, it has to do with the innocence our ancestors possessed, which we can never ever possess....we have reached some fancied places too fast and now we do not know what to do with that...what a stupid irony!

Divvy,
Yes, mthe legacy i've inherited is one thing i am undoubtedly proud of...

Ardra,
Welocme to my little space. So glad you liked the posts. Yes, my ammumma continues to live through her children, grandchildren and great grand children. For us, she is immortal - her deeds, thoughts and love have made her so.

 
At 2:27 AM, Blogger pradeep siddharth said...

Gayathri,

What you tell about your grandmother is abosolutely correct. Our generation does not possess their simplicity. Everything during that era was quiet and simple. Noe We complicate every thing and we are going too fast. Keep writing such great stuff.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Rahul said...

Gayathri Varma.... the name brought me here. I thought I have finally landed on my friend's (in school) blog ... but soon I realized, that gayathri and this gayathri are not same.

Nonetheless... I kept reading.... I suddenly felt so happy that my friends name is also gayathri, else I might not have come.

Another thing that just clicked is that, may be everything in the world does happen coz of a reason.

I was able to create a pretty good picture of that time... when your grand mom used to tell stories, etc.... it felt very good.

I guess by then, the next gen, our parents gen, probably felt "Lets go and see outside". We lived in outside... now we wish to go inside....

Pretty cool. Even Buddha said "Life is a circle", I read in my history text books (thanks to NCERT for the text).

Glad that you have written down your thoughts.... helps the entire humanity.

Wishing you a good time.

Regards,
Rahul

lovetocommunicate@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home