Thursday, January 10, 2008

Up in Smoke

My mother gets paranoid when she sees a youngster smoking. She starts lamenting about how pathetic it is that the youngster fails to understand the implications of cigarette smoke in his/her life and so on and so forth. She just cannot contain her sorrow.

I guess this strange sympathy towards all smokers of this world (especially the young ones) is a result of the aggressive, incessant chain smoking of her husband’s that she had to endure ever since she got married. Hailing from a family of total non smokers - I doubt if her father or brother or other close male members of her family had ever touched a cigarette in their lives – it must have been a brutal shock for her young, tender heart to encounter a smoker such as my father. But since a lot of other attributes such as an impeccable family lineage, good education, fine character etc; favoured the alliance, the fact that he was a smoker hardly mattered at the time. Besides, most men of Kerala belonging to my father’s generation (especially those from upper caste, affluent families) were regarded intellectuals (and communists) for whom smoking and burying themselves in books were considered most normal.

Also at the time, I guess my mother was most oblivious to the enormous implications my father’s smoking would have on her life. Ever since she got married, my mother patiently and sometimes exasperatingly tried to convince my father to give up his habit. She persisted with her entreaties for 34 years, until a few months before my father’s death.

By the way, my father started smoking at the age of 19 when he was in engineering college and since then for many years, he smoked one of the strongest brands, Charminar. He preferred an unfiltered cigarette and he would smoke a minimum of 2 to 3 packets a day. He remained loyal to Charminar until they finally stopped producing it. My mother was slightly relieved then, for my father was forced to switch over to some filtered brand ever since. By then, you see, my mother had researched important details of most cigarette brands of the time.

Fortunately for my mother, my brother who grew up listening to all this fuss surrounding smoking never ever touched a cigarette so far in his life and I don’t think he ever will. He must have developed a thorough hatred for it. Surprisingly, it never affected me much and when my parents were seeking alliance for me, I never ever made it a condition that the person I marry should be a non smoker. As long as the guy didn't blow smoke rings into my face, I had no problem. This thrilled my father and irritated my mother beyond words. She vowed that she would marry me off only to a guy who had nothing to do with her arch rival, cigarettes. Again God was kind to her and gave her the kind of son-in-law any parents would dream of and well, he is a total non smoker!

My father’s tryst with his muse continued through his deteriorating health, age, job changes, transfers to different cities etc; He smoked non stop, disregarding advice from physicians, family and friends. Finally, at the age of 63, he was diagnosed with terminal lung and kidney cancer, the news of which he imbibed most unflinchingly. I am not exaggerating when I say he did not even batter an eye lid when the doctor told him he had just a few months to live.He continued to smoke until one day the cigarette, his most trusted companion of so many years betrayed him. His terminal cough prevented him from taking even a single puff. That was when he conceded it. How ironic that it was the cigarette that finally abandoned him and not vice versa!

At times a few scenes from the past flash before my eyes, my mother childishly showing my father some gory pictures or articles of people who had succumbed to various cancers owing to smoking. My father would not even bother to glance at those and he would casually dismiss my mother with, ‘So what? At least they enjoyed their lives while it lasted.”

In my father’s case, this is true. He enjoyed his life and died an extremely peaceful death just two months after the lethal diagnosis. He never had to undergo the painful treatment, which he himself refused and he never had any food restrictions either. He was admitted to the hospital just a day before his death and was not hooked to the ventilator or any such devices. He was lucky to have lived and died the way he desired, defying all bizarre predictions of a terrible death resulting from his smoking.

But my mother continues to grieve and pray for all the smokers of this world.

10 Comments:

At 11:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just as i begin to wonder if you have again retreated into ur hibernation, i am pleasantly surprised with another good post from u.
i know about ur mother's obsession with smoking and smokers,but luckily for her, the present men in her life do not smoke.
my dad is a chronic smoker too but my brother dosen't smoke...i've seen that in many homes...if the parent(s) is a smoker, the chidren stay away from it and vice versa.
u take care an keep posting.
divya

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger Anitha said...

Good one. I think all wives put up with one strikingly repulsive charachter of their better-halfs. Is it their male ego that prevents them from changing?

-Anitha

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger dharmabum said...

i see a lot of 'smoke' in here and wonder if i should read it. i will though, coz i may not be able to resist :)

how have u been?

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Gayathri Varma said...

Hi
Divya,
u are right about the observation...most often, when the parent smokes, the offsprings keep away from it and vice versa..though there are exceptions to the rule!
trust u are doing well...stay tuned.

Anitha,
I do not know about whether all wives are tolerant about it...but if you look at it from another light, why should the women try to stop their husbands from smoking in the first place? the women just need to ensure that neither they nor their children nor anyone for that matter are affected by the ill effects of passive smoking...but otherwise, why shld they/we try to impose or likes and dislikes on them? its their lives and they are grown up and wise enough to understand the good or bad effects of evreything they do...i guess once the women accept things for what they are, its easier...

Dharma,
After such a loooong time...trust u are doing good...i am fine.
glad to see u in my little space.
ha ha ha...yes, i am sure there is a lot of smoke visible in the latest post...
wish you a very happy,less smoke:)-new year!

 
At 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha,
i see that you continue to blog way more than i do. :-) how are things? i liked what you wrote about your dad being a smoker. mine was one too.
anyway. how are things with you?
shekhar (frac/earth shekhar, i mean)

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger dharmabum said...

i agree with your father, it is an indulgence, thats all, and i like it for now. i suppose a day will come when it will betray me, but heck, i'm not thinking of it now.

my father smokes, and i know my mother has tried a lot to get him to quit. earlier, as a child, i used to try too. then, when i started smoking myself, i've stopped :) my father believes his smoking has influenced me to take up the habit, and i've always refuted it. looking at your brother, i think i can second my own viewpoint now :)

 
At 3:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicotine is more addictive than cocaine, crystal and many other addictive drugs. The withdrawal symptoms of trying to come out of a nicotine trap target the central nervous system. Depression, irritation and sometimes nihilism can be some of the withdrawal symptoms of nicotine.
Cigarette smoking also makes one feel 'high and light' perhaps because of the kind of body language involved while on smokes. This makes cigarettes doubly addictive.
With no short term visible side effects - unlike many other addictive chemicals - smoking is all the more difficult to quit.

All cigarette smokers do deserve the kind of sympathy shown by the bloggers mother. :)

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Gayathri Varma said...

hi Shekhar,
Good to see u here. i am as irregular a bloger as u are. but i do manage to catch up with ur blogs whenever u write. i understand that most people of ur and my father's generation were smokers....but good that u are not one!!

hi dharma,
ur comments are always retrospective just like the posts in ur blog. yes, u can convincingly tell ur father that ur smoking has nothing to do with his...coz' psychologically, offsprings of smokers become averse to cigarattes and not the other way round. as long as u are aware of the implications of smoking, u have nothing to worry
:-)

hi anonymous,
welcome to my blog. what you have written makes a lot of scientific sense. i remember seeing my father trying to quit but being unable to. the urge to get back to smoking was tremendous. just hope more and more people realise this fact and give up this 'crippling' habit once and for all.

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger RS said...

That is a beautiful narrative. Thanks for your comment after so many days, I am glad you have found your Utopia, and I live in hope that someday I too can reach mine :-)

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger dharmabum said...

long time no post, how u been?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home